These sautéed vegetables in browned butter are a really simple, delicious way to cook up some of those fresh veggies from the garden this summer. This medley of zucchini, bell pepper, shallots, garlic and mushrooms are blended together with browned butter and some fresh herbs, which creates an amazing combination of summertime flavor.
I am constantly looking for different ways to cook up some of the fresh vegetables from our garden all summer long. Especially zucchini, which seems to grow in large quantities no matter what I do. I could neglect it for the majority of the season and I’m pretty sure I’d still be drowning in zucchini… in fact, I’ve done that.
I also try to find new, interesting ways to combine medleys of flavor together and get our kids to eat more veggies. This simple dish combines the right flavors and they actually indulge in it… if I can stop eating them before they’re put on the table, that is.
I like to put a little zucchini, bell pepper and mushrooms with a shallot, garlic, fresh thyme, parsley and oregano and toss in some browned butter and it’s absolutely delicious. But honestly, you could definitely change up the flavors to suit what you and your family enjoy and/or what you’re currently harvesting.
This dish is super, super easy to throw together and pairs well with just about anything, though we prefer it alongside a nice grilled venison steak or some fish.
What is browned butter?
Browned butter, or buerre noisette, is really easy to make, and it’s worth the effort to make it. It’s exactly what it sounds like, simply butter that’s melted and cooked, carefully over medium heat, until it reaches a golden brown color.
Browning the butter gives it a slightly nutty flavor and makes it excellent for sautéing vegetables in.
Are sautéed vegetables healthy?
Sautéing vegetables is often a healthy way to prep them because so many nutrients available in vegetables are fat soluble. Since you’re cooking the vegetables in some fat, you’ll be consuming that fat which will help your body absorb those healthy nutrients.
How to sauté vegetables in brown butter
This is a great, easy recipe to add a skill and some flavor to your table. To make this you’ll simply:
- Heat skillet over medium high heat, add butter and cook until fully melted.
- Reduce heat to medium, swirl butter around to ensure it is evenly browned. Cook until butter is golden brown and has a nutty aroma (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add the shallot and garlic to the pan, sauté one minute.
- Next, add in the zucchini and cook until crisp & tender.
- Add in the bell pepper and button mushrooms, cook until just tender.
- Finally, add in the fresh herbs, salt and pepper and stir until combined.
- Serve immediately.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
An easy, simple side dish of summer vegetables sautéed in browned butter and combined with fresh herbs.
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Medium Zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2″ rounds
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 Shallot, chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 8 oz Button Mushrooms
- 1/2 Tablespoon fresh Thyme
- 1/2 Tablespoon fresh Oregano
- 1/2 Tablespoon fresh Parsley
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper